Primary care sports medicine combines family medicine and sports medicine to treat athletes and everyday, active individuals of all ages to ensure overall health and well-being for long, healthy lives.
Coryell Memorial’s board-certified physician, Ryan Fowler, MD, works closely with our orthopedic surgeon, rehabilitation therapists, local athletic trainers and team coaches, to provide comprehensive sports primary care and a wide range of treatment options.
Dr. Fowler has significant training in both the treatment and prevention of illness and injury, specializing in the non-operative treatment of the following musculoskeletal conditions:
Common musculoskeletal problems include:
- Acute injuries (such as ankle sprains, muscle strains, knee and shoulder injuries, and fractures)
- Overuse injuries (such as rotator cuff and other forms of tendonitis, stress fractures)
- Medical and injection therapies for osteoarthritis
Common non-musculoskeletal aspects of sports medicine:
- Athletes with chronic or acute illness (such as infectious mononucleosis, asthma, or diabetes)
- Nutrition, supplements, ergogenic acids, and performance issues)
- Exercise prescription for patients who want to increase their fitness
- Injury prevention
- “Return to play” decisions in the sick or injured athlete
- Recommendations on safe strength training and conditioning exercises
- Healthy lifestyle promotion
If you would like to make an appointment with Dr. Fowler please call Coryell Medical Clinic at (254) 865-2166.
Coryell Medical Clinic, Building 1
1507 West Main St.
Gatesville, TX 76528